Thursday 28 February 2013

Doctors Ruin My Life

Okay, so I haven't written in awhile. I would say I haven't had much on my mind, but I have. I just haven't felt like writing it.

Right at the beginning of the new year, my husband took off for school. Eight week program, two and half hours from here. He got an apartment in the other city, and came home most weekends. One weekend the highways were really bad, so we didn't see each other, and a few times I went and stayed with him. Lots of stuff on my mind then, but mostly missing him, or being lethargic.

Unless one of my friends practically dragged my butt out of the house, I spent every single evening watching Netflix. I usually ate dinner around seven or eight, if I ate dinner, and it was also pre-prepared food that I just had to heat up. I know, I'm an animal. I never had any energy, and I hardly cleaned. Every time he came home, he cleaned half the house for me.

Well, that was all over Friday. It was his last day, and since we had something we wanted to go to on Saturday here, he had a friend drive him and his stuff home. The thing on Saturday was a lot of fun, and I could have taken up a few posts talking about all of that (if I'm not going to get all the way into it, I ain't touching it). But I didn't.

You know why? Because something else completely consumed my whole entire mind.

You know how I said I had no energy while my husband was gone, well it got to the point that I was dizzy and light-headed and collapsing. Like, no energy at all. So I went to the doctor a couple weeks ago and had some blood tests done. And she called me on Friday to tell me how they went.

About an hour or two before my husband got home. Just before life would return to normal, and we could be together again.

Oh, I bet you're thinking I'm pregnant. I did too, actually, before the two negative pregnancy tests. My mother thought so, my mother-in-law thought so, in fact, even after we knew we weren't, my husband admitted my long list of symptoms (most of which I didn't bother to tell the doctor) completely sounded like pregnancy. Oh, if only. That would be over soon.

I have Celiac disease.

I hope you know what that is, or I just lost all punch that I built up. Well, it's a life-long, incurable disease, which causes my antibodies to attack my small intestine every time I eat gluten. The only treatment is a strict gluten-free diet for life. Which really isn't that bad, but it is shocking and did come out of nowhere.

It has a long laundry list of symptoms, and not all if any show in most affected. I had nausea, some vomiting, stabbing stomach pains, stomach cramps, sudden hunger, lack of appetite, and other various digestive symptoms. Also, it gets to the point of damaging your small intestine that you can't absorb nutrition from your food. And that meant I felt like I hadn't eaten in weeks, even an hour after I ate a big plate of pasta. I felt dizzy, weak, light-headed. I was collapsing and feeling faint, and had a terrible time getting out of bed. I was practically starving myself and had no idea.

So, as you can see, this one day in the last two months consumed my entire mind. So much so, that I started a fresh blog just to talk about it. It'll be a little more focused, and a little more frequent, but when I have something unrelated weighing on me, I promise to still bring it here.

No promises on when, because I foresee myself obsessing over this gluten thing for some time to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment